About Me

Yoga changed my Life and it's just too good a thing to keep to myself! I have been practicing yoga since 1995 and am a certified yoga instructor. I teach a combination of classical Hatha, Ashtanga and Vinyasa Flow. My teaching style is safe, compassionate and challenging at the same time. I teach at a number of studios, and also offer private and group lessons!

In addition to my schedule, I post other writings here, about yoga and Life in general. For private or group lessons, contact me at: workofheartyoga@gmail.com .

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Did I mention that I love Yoga?

Hi,

I don't write on my Blog nearly enough. Mostly because I feel like I have to have something very important to say - like a really poignant story, a metaphor for life, or some schedule change that my students absolutely must know about...

But I've decided to try to log on, at least once a week, to put down whatever comes to my yogic mind... so there.

I love yoga. I wish I were able to do more of it, and I do try to sneak it in daily, even if in short 15 minute spurts. Motherhood is hard sometimes, literally on the body. My upper back constantly aches for the first time in my life - mostly from bending over and picking up the baby, and breastfeeding. But also from the lack of exercise I get nowadays. Even as a yoga instructor... I don't get as much as I feel I need. And I'm STILL waiting for my abdominal muscles to grow back together (don't worry ladies, this doesn't happen to most pregnant women... I just got lucky!)

When I have free time, I usually make the phone calls I can't make while my baby needs my attention, or online communications, or cleaning the house, occasionally taking a shower or making food for me or the baby, calling my mother back, grocery shopping, running errands, and sometimes going for a walk, or teaching a class.

My standards on the cleanliness of my house have dropped dramatically. Oh, it still bothers me, but I have less choice in the matter.

But I love yoga. I get to go to a class a few times a week, and I get to teach it, and it keeps me sane, makes me feel like I can breathe, makes me feel alive and interested in the world around me. I'm so lucky that yoga exists. And that I get to be a part of passing it on to others, including my amazing daughter, Ruby Jo!

So, them's my thoughts. Have a great day, and enjoy your yoga!

Peace,
April

2 comments:

lolita said...

Hi there, I am starting yoga as of...today! I've been overstressed for a very long time and havent been able to find a solution or way out. I've tried meditating probably at least once a day for weeks and just couldn't accomplish it. But last night, when I tried meditating, it worked and it was a phenomenal sensation. Thus, I am going to try to get in touch with my spiritual side and use your blog as my inspiration.

by April KirkHart: said...

Lolita,
Thank you for your comment! I hope that my blog will help to inspire you. Please see my next blog entry, dedicated to you!

Peace,
April